Thursday, July 30, 2009

Navy and Orange Nautical Nursery



Since I’ve been favoring designs for girls lately, I thought I should throw some love to the boys. So here’s a nautical nursery that’s all sophistication and royal regatta with nothing “dingy” about it. Get it? Okay bad pun. Click on the photo to get the full details.

I try to avoid theme decorating at all costs. If it’s not done properly it can look very cheap. It takes a great designer to pull off a room designed with a theme and make it look fabulous. So here I’ve designed a boy’s nursery that isn’t in your face nautical theme, just sophisticated and modern with subtle hints.

I chose a gorgeous Ralph Lauren large navy and white stripe as my starting point. The chair pictured on the inspiration board is obviously not a rocker but you can see how striking the fabric is when laid on the horizontal. Coordinating fabrics are the geometric orange and white and flax linen. I love the organic look of flax linen.

As for the walls I would add a white bead board all the way around the room covering ¾ of the wall height and the rest of the walls painted a soft oatmeal color. The bead board gives the room an east coast Nantucket feel. The paint swatch to the left of the chair is Oatmeal by Serena and Lily.

The crib is from Restoration Hardware and I think it’s safe to say I am head over heels in love with it. It’s sophisticated and the best part is it converts to a full size headboard! The rug is a soft wool but in a very natural color favoring a woven seagrass. If this was a toddler’s room I would have shown a true seagrass rug, but since it’s for a baby I went with the wool.

Instead of a chandelier or hanging fixture I chose a flush mount antique nickel star. It reminds me of how you would see the North Star late at night in the middle of the ocean on a yacht. I wish! A few other design details not pictured would be adding long curtain panels with grommets. The grommets remind me of a boat’s sail or a true sailor’s knot as curtain tiebacks.

Shopping Guide:
Fabrics: www.CalicoCorners.com
Monogram: JacquelynReese.com
Rug: Pottery Barn
Light: Circa Lighting
Crib, Changing Table, Porthole Mirror and Fan: Restoration Hardware and RH Baby and Child
Art: www.NameYourDesign.com
Bead board Toy Box: Land of Nod
Mobile: Gap.com
Hat: RalphLauren.com
Shirt: Janie and Jack
Paint: Serena and Lily
Garden Seat Table and Arrow Sign: Ballard Designs

3 comments:

melifaif said...

For the record, I loved your pun. Intended. Cute room. If I had a boy, nautical would be the way to go for me.

Unknown said...

I love this idea for a boy! Can you tell me who makes the orange and white geometric print fabric?

Unknown said...

Love this! Can you tell me who makes the orange and white print fabric?