Thursday, October 8, 2009

Yearly Halloween Costume Dilemma

Well friends it's that time of year again. Yes it's time to carve pumpkins, buy candy and figure out what the heck you’re gonna do for your kid’s Halloween costume. This year I asked my daughter what she wanted to be for Halloween and she actually gave me answer. Ariel, as in The Little Mermaid. I couldn't believe she was so matter-of-fact. Since she's only two and a half I decided I would revisit the topic again in about a week and see what she came up with. One week later the answer was still Ariel. Two weeks later, Ariel again.

So here we are a few weeks away from Halloween and I am hard-pressed to find an Ariel costume that will fit my petite sea princess. I know I could head to the Disney store, but I really don't want to drop $60 on a toddler costume. So I thought I could make one. Perhaps using this pattern below.




But then reality kicked in and I know I have no business trying to make a mermaid costume.  So I found this one and it fits sizes 3-4.  I know it will be too big, but I am hoping I can alter it to fit her.



Then one of these seaweed boas to accessorize would be cute.  And I am going to try and make her a seashell tiara and see how that turns out.



I asked my husband if he had any input and he suggested we all dress up.  He could be King Triton, Ariel's dad.


 

And I could be Ursala.




I looked at him like he was on crack.  Now I know he was teasing me, but I really wanted to smack him upside the head.  Men.

No comments: