Sunday, February 28, 2010

Before & After: My Fireplace

This week I plan to reveal a few more Before and Afters of the very slow progress of our home renovation.  Today, the family room fireplace.

Before


After



I always knew the fireplace had a lot of potential. Its true beauty was hiding behind a dated mask circa 1980. We had the guts of it completely rehabbed and outfitted with a gas log system. Once we pulled down the tiny ledge that was acting as a mantle and removed the brass cover, we were amazed at how big the fireplace really was.

What a difference the right paint colors and scale of a mantle can do for a fireplace. Every time I pass it I have to smile. We are so pleased with the end result.

The walls are Benjamin Moore Elmira White and the door and molding are BM Bennington Gray.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Gorgeous!

melifaif said...

It looks lovely V! Ditching the brass did wonders on its very own...

Jamie Dawson said...

Just seeing this post and cannot believe how similar my own fireplace setting looks to yours! We are updating ours right now and I am curious as to where you found the GORGEOUS mantel?
Looks great!

Jamie Dawson said...

Just found this post and cannot believe how similar my fireplace setting is to this! We are currently re-doing ours, and I am curious as to where you found your BEAUTIFUL mantle?
Looks great!

Brandie and Mark said...

Love your fireplace update! Where did you find your amazing mantle?